Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Memories of Spokane- Serious Story # 1

I woke up as rain was pelting my nose. I slept with the window open again and the rain was coming in. It was the the day before Halloween and the rain that came got increasingly colder as the wind moved winter closer to us.

I dressed warm- my thicker jeans, a sweater and my rain coat. I put on socks and my gym shoes. I love fall. I was really warm, as I continued to get ready, with everything on, so I just put on a long sleeved t and a light rain coat I left in the car in case I needed it.

I got to class just as someone walked in from the office and gave Kenny a slip of paper saying there was something that couldn't fit in his school mail box that was waiting for him in the office. He went down stairs and when he came up he was holding a brand new camera. Kenny had talked about how he was really wanting a camera because of his new interest in photography. His $17.89 camera from Walmart wasn't cutting it. Everyone guessed it was Suzanne that gave it to him because she was the only one in our group that could afford to get anyone a gift that nice. She never admitted that she bought it for him, but we all knew it had to be her- she was always generous with her money.

After class that day I hung back a little... I wanted to see if anyone wanted to do anything. It was a rainy blah day and I didn't feel like going home. I looked around and only a few people I barely knew were still at school, so I headed outside. Then I heard his voice behind me. " Jamie, are you going home?"
" Oh hey Kenny. Well, I kinda don't want to, but it seems everyone has left. What are you up to?"
" Well, I was thinking about going thrift store shopping because tomorrow at work we don't have to wear our uniform if we dress for Halloween."
" I love thrift stores...I didn't know there were any in Spokane."
" Well, come with me! It'll be fun!"
I didn't know Kenny too well at this point, but I did sort of find his confidence in who the Lord was making him contagious. That and he was really nice- to everyone.
" Okay, sure!"
He unlocked the door of his red Nissan pickup truck for me and I hopped in. I leaned over to unlock his door so he could get in without his key. "The door test" I said. "The door test?" He questioned. "Yeah, If a guy opens the door for you you should lean over and unlock his door- its the least you can do for him."
He looked at me and gave me that million dollar Kenny smile I'll remember for years to come. " Okay, I'll have to remember that."
We drove to the Salvation Army first to check out their digs. I asked him, " Did you celebrate Halloween as a kid? "
"Yeah, kinda, I mean we dressed up and went outside to trick or treat."
" What about you?" He said.
" Well, we never did...Never really liked Halloween- but it's a long story."
As Kenny finished looking through a pile trying to find anything to pull off as a "costume" he paused long and looked at me in the eyes with the softest look, " well, I'm kinda sick of sorting through this anyway, you want to go take pictures around Spokane with my new camera? Maybe you can tell me a little about that long story of yours."
I smiled, " Kenny, its pouring outside!"
" Jamie, thats what will make it so fun...dodging raindrops and finding cool shots. Common', let's go get soaked!"

Kenny intruiged me- he barely knew me but was willing to spend his day with me, and wanted to hear about my views on Halloween. As we took shots all over Spokane we got to know each other. He asked me questions that were personal and he seemed comfortable doing so. We laughed a ton and and one point it got cold and windy so Kenny offered me his coat. Who is this guy? Why aren't there more like him? He was full of surprises and I started to grow attached to the idea of having him around and in my life and being my friend. He kept me on my toes and warm in his jacket.

We ducked under awning after awning trying to stay dry and laughed along the way. At one point we were standing next to a Children's Museum and so he said, let's go inside and look around. I thought he was crazy. I don't know if i was just told maturity comes with avoiding those places once you are older or if I was being too uptight, but Kenny helped me unleash a side of me I had trapped since my mom died two years before. I had to grow up that day: January 5, 1998 at 8:05am. My childhood as I knew it was over and so playing silly games had to be put behind me. But Kenny helped me see that it was okay to laugh and have fun, being silly. He climbed in this toy tree thats only for kids and made me go down a slide with him that we almost got stuck on because the two of us together were just too wide for it. I couldn't stop laughing and neither could he. We stayed stuck for a couple of minutes before we finally wiggled out.

After we left the kiddie museum we walked over to the bus station and around the "downtown" ( see funny story # 2) area of Spokane. We walked from covered walking bridge to covered walking bridge.

I started to feel something for Kenny that day, but I didn't want to blow it out of perportion. " Hey Jamie, What are you doing for dinner?"

Wow, we just spent 3 hours together alone and now he's asking me what I want to for dinner. I said I had no plans but I did have to write a paper. He told me, " Well I have to go to work tonight, but maybe you should stop in Perkins and get something to eat. Work on your paper there. Maybe Brandon [Kenny's Roommate] can come too."

I agreed to this boy who had captured my attention.

Brandon and I hung out that night, and Chrissy came too if I remember right. We sat there as Kenny brought us free drinks and we ordered dinner. I had no idea from that day on I'd be eating at Perkins at least twice a week. Brandon also began asking me intriguing questions and Theology came naturally to the conversation for Brandon as he asked me about some of my views.

Just when I thought this was about to be the year " I didn't get into Moody Chicago..." It was turning into one of the most precious, amazing years of my life.

So what became of this boy Kenny and this girl Jamie? In the words of Kenny, " We are...Kenny and Jamie"

2 comments:

DayAtTheBeach said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DayAtTheBeach said...

Nice. Keep it coming DJ Jameson. The post almost seemed like the middle of some chic flik. Only better written and lacking that 'obligatory' accidental kiss.