Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Memories of Spokane- Funny Story # 2

There are a few things that are different between a "small city" and a "large one"...

Suzanne, Dorcas ( yes that's her real name), and Tara, the aforementioned roommate, decided to have a night out on the town before school started. It was the second day of orientation and these girls who just wanted to have some fun had the weekend ahead of them. Where should we go- the inevitable dilemma of foreigners. Suzanne told us to get in her big van she had driven up from Texas. The way she drove around Spokane was like she had been a cab driver there for years. I was jealous ( see Spokane Memories- Funny Story # 1). We drove to Spokane Park to get a feel for the local life.

Spokane Park is no ordinary park. Waterfalls, a carousel, bumper cars in the summer, iceskating in the winter, acres of rolling hills and green trees, a Big-Ben-esque clock tower, vendors selling t-shirts and cotton candy, a football stadium sized lake, and swans and ducks to boot. If you are ever in Spokane, go to the park- you can even ride a gondola!

We parked, got out of the van and started to explore what would become one of our favorite spots in the city. It was long after dark so most of everything was closed. I can't remember talking a whole lot, but for being with people I had just met, I laughed so much I wiggled.

After an hour of the park we decided to walk around "down town." The very thought of calling it "down town" made me giggle. You call this down town?

I had strong allegiances to Chicago even though I had never lived there before (I was born and bred a suburban).

Tara, who also had grown up in the suburbs of Chicago gave Spokane a better chance than I did. Dorcas grew up as an MK (Missionary kid) in Japan, so America never felt quite right from the beginning, and Suzanne grew up near Houston so she could see where I was coming from, but not completely. Suzanne pulled into a lot to park her big van. " What are you doing Suzanne?!" I said shocked. " What?" she said. " You are pulling into a parking lot? What are you a millionaire?" I sarcastically remarked. Suzanne said, "This isn't Chicago- its not going to be that much- calm down."

I couldn't believe my eyes. My lids rose inside my head causing my jaw to drop right below my knees. "$2?!!!" I screamed." Wow! Two dollars an hour." Suzanne tapped me on the shoulder while I was putting my eyes back in my head and said, " Actually I think that's for the whole day."

" WOW!" it's all I could say. Well, that and, "And they call this a city- they don't even know how to rob people blindly for parking."

1 comment:

lisanicole said...

I love Chicago. :)